1.04.2009

Bailamos In La Media


I made a list called, "About 2008." I won't post it all here. It's just an exercise in perspective. But I'll share some things of note. 

Among those in our favor: 
• Played about 30 shows.
• Visited Brooklyn, New York and Humboldt Co., California for the first time.
• Someone backed into our car and we got a new paint job that covered up the place where someone keyed my car a few  years ago.
• The house next to my grandmother's, where we lived for 7 years after her passing, burned to the ground, without damaging so much as our fence. 
• Bought a house.
• Recorded 2 songs in the studio.
• Got a Rhodes piano for FREE, indefinitely
• Celebrated B's 30th.

Among those things not in our favor:
• Gained about ten pounds.
• Fell asleep at the bar once when I was really drunk.
• Lost my job. (But gained a lot of free time)
• Lost my husband's job.
• The dog got cancer again.

Mostly it seems 2008 was balanced in our favor. Given my skepticism, it makes me a little nervous for what 2009 will hold. I'd like to think there's some rhyme or reason to the way the year flows, like evens will be good and odds will be rough. But I don't believe it. I think any connection between the characteristics of the animal on a Chinese calendar and what the year is really like is usually coincidence, but I still like the idea. The alignment of stars may be related, simply for the science behind the moon controlling the tides and our feminine rhythms, but mainly because I don't believe anything is too separate from another thing. If you believe all possibilities are in existence, our experiences are limitless. It is with this mindset that I approach the New Year.

All possibilities are in existence. The future is limitless. 

Or maybe it's the psychedelics talking. Either way, I am enthusiastically both observer and participant.

No comments: