9.09.2008

I Want Action, Satisfaction

I am a woman of action. I don't like sitting around feeling miserable about one problem or another, waiting for a solution to present itself. And I tend to get impatient with others when they do, regardless of whether or not it's any of my business. I get what my Eastern KY/Southern IN mother refers to as a "wild hair" and decide I'm going to fix everything. And I'm going to do it right now, because if I have to sit around for one more minute thinking about it and not acting, I will lose my mind. Admittedly, patience is not my strongest virtue.

That's generally what's been happening to me over the last couple weeks. It's gotten worse as more things pile on, which they tend to do when you are juggling as many things as I am at the moment, until I have run myself ragged and become a giant anxious mess, trying to accomplish way more than one can reasonably expect themselves to do in a single day. As these things go, lack of sleep plays a sneakily big role in your perception of things and your ability to cope. Go without a good night's sleep long enough, and you'll find yourself on the roof of the nearest tall building, considering the fastest way down.

So that's why I'm taking a step back to take it all in.

Sure, we've got a pile of crap to sort and pack at the old house and a pile of crap to unpack and put away at the new house. And of course we're swamped with other commitments and likely won't accomplish those things in the next 2 weeks. Yes, due to our negligence, the ceiling fan we bought for the living room was installed in the studio, and in the process, the old ceiling fan was destroyed, so I'll have to drop $100 on another one. Of course the dog slipped on the pergo floor and tore her ACL and will have to be kept calm for months and may never walk without a limp again.

This is just par for the course, right?

The important thing is that I have running water, food and the health of my loved ones (minus an ACL). Autumn is near, the weather is cooler and good things are on the horizon. All I have to do is keep it together for a few more weeks. Just a few more weeks...

Anyone got an aspirin? Maybe an anvil you can drop on my head?

No comments: